You and your college sweetheart got married 15 years ago. During that time you built your dream house and had three beautiful children. The last few years have been difficult, however, and you and your spouse aren’t getting along. You find yourself wondering if you’re headed for a divorce.
Accepting that a divorce may be inevitable is not easy. Sometimes, unhappiness in your marriage sneaks up on you. Other times, a specific incident can drive a wedge between the two of you that you just cannot seem to get past. You may not want to admit it, but your marriage might be in trouble.
Signs that point toward divorce
There may have been some signs along the way that your marriage is heading for a divorce. These include:
- There’s a general feeling of unhappiness. You can no longer deny that you have been unhappy for quite a while. Chances are your spouse feels the same way.
- You no longer share a bedroom. You each have your own room and there is no intimacy shared between you.
- You have been staying together for the sake of your children. You plan to leave once they are grown up.
- You have a lot of financial disagreements. You do not agree on how to budget your finances. One of you is a spender and one of you is a saver and you just can’t see eye to eye.
- You have been abused by your spouse. The relationship has become mentally, emotionally, or physically abusive.
- You avoid each other. You used to look forward to your partner getting home from work. Now, you stay out late in order to avoid spending time with them.
If you recognize yourself and your partner on this list a divorce may be on the horizon. Look into your options instead of trying to handle this alone.