Changing Custody And Support Orders To Accurately Reflect Circumstances

In many respects, divorce and separation represent a new beginning. Both financially and emotionally, spouses are going their separate ways. And with new beginnings come changes. Your financial situation a year or two after divorce may be significantly changed from when the order for spousal or child support was issued.

That is why family law courts allow modifications to child and spousal support orders. If you have experienced a significant change in circumstances and are wondering if you can change your spousal or child support obligations, contact the Law Office of L. Bryan Smith. Located in Wilmington, North Carolina, our office has been helping Wilmington families with their legal needs for over 25 years.

Delay Can Be Costly When It Comes To Modification

While circumstances change, your court order regarding custody and modification will not until you petition the court. All current obligations remain in effect until they are changed by court order. That is why you need to act immediately if you are struggling to pay your bills or support obligations. Failing to pay can lead to significant consequences, including a contempt of court order, wage garnishment, asset seizure and other penalties. If you are struggling to modify child support because you are struggling to provide for the needs of your child, you need the help of an experienced family law attorney to guide you in petitioning the court.

Personal Attention Until Your Case Is Resolved

At The Law Office of L. Bryan Smith, you and your legal matter will be treated with respect. We know how devastating it can be financially when child support and spousal support orders do not accurately reflect your financial circumstances.

Our entire staff is courteous and genuinely cares about our clients. We want all of our clients to be financially secure. To speak with a knowledgeable lawyer about the possibility of obtaining a modification, call us today at 910-338-5559. You can also reach us online here.